Study Released on Effective Teaching in Oakland
March 20, 2013
In Latest News
GO's sister organization, GO Public Schools Leadership Center, is part of the Oakland Effective Teaching Coalition, which includes community, labor, social justice, and education organizations in Oakland committed to helping Oakland's students succeed and its teachers be supported in the classroom. The Effective Teaching Coalition includes:Oakland Community Organizations (OCO), SEIU Local 1021, Youth Together, Youth Uprising, GO Public Schools Leadership Center, the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Education Trust-West.
Over a year ago, the Effective Teaching Coalition commissioned a study on policies and practices in Oakland impacting effective teaching, and today that study is being released.
The Oakland Effective Teaching Coalition hopes that any actions arising from the NCTQ study include the following values:
- The teachers in Oakland deserve the communities' support. The changes we desire, as a coalition, should focus on giving our teachers the support they need to best serve our children.
- Efforts to address concerns and problems with effective teaching should work in concert with teachers unions, not undermine their ability to collective bargain.
- Oakland's teachers should be culturally competent and represent the diversity of the community.
- School communities, along with administrators, should have a meaningful voice in deciding who teaches in their schools.
- Effective teaching should take student achievement into consideration in ways that consider a diverse set of indicators beyond test scores.